Thursday 31 August 2017

Honey it's a great big world out there

This will be a post regarding my life after a level and my devastated recuperation.i went on 2 trips immediately after my a levels: Hong Kong and Port Dickson. I promise, PD blogpost will be up soon.  However, today I’m going to be talking about my very first working experience in my entire 19 years of living. *shrieks with excitement- not because of working but blogging this* 

Instead of translating my experience into prose like I always did in the past, this time I’d instead be segmenting them into questions. Lately, I’ve been flooding with tones of enquiries regarding my job. So let’s get started! (Great, now I’m beginning to sound like those quintessential Youtubers)

1. How did you apply for the job?
As a matter of fact, I didn’t! My friend offered me the job! Since both me and shop owner were desperately looking for workers and since it was during the month of Raya where most Malay workers would be plodding through their labour so I figure let’s take it. 

2. How was the interview?
I walked in to Adidas and the manager immediately handed me the application form. No specific skills or qualifications is required. I just inquired a few important ones. 

3. What’s your basic pay, commission, OT?
My basic pay is rm1248. Rm6/hour of wage rate. Even though it is off the minimum wage rate, it’s still enduringly low. However, the OT is about rm9/hour. Before y’all get ecstatic about the commission since your girl is working under one of the pretentious sports centre, we each get 1% of commission from our sales. HA. Talk about that.

4. Do you get any staff discounts?
Get this, even though I’m wearing Adidas attire at work, on my last day of work, I had to return everything. Honestly, I wouldn’t want to keep them either. I was given a pair of extremely worn out and luridly hot pink oversized sport shoes, 2 pairs of oversized yoga pants and dull coloured tee shirt for work. Can you picture how horribly hideous colours they are? Lastly, I don’t get to enjoy any staff discounts AT ALL as I was just a part timer. Talk about that. 

5. Share us with your experience!
-One of the most memorable experience that would forever engraved deeply in me would be during my first day of work: I was still waddling and wobbling through my day and all of the sudden there was this customer of mine enquired for my assistance and bought pairs and pairs of socks which worth rm1125 from me. I was absolutely overwhelmed that I caught a big fat fish on my first day of work. 

-I have had a few new friends from my work place. One of them would be this Chinese guy, whom I deeply revered and admired accessibly. He has helped me tremendously: from getting socks from the staff room on the first day of work, teaching me bout the barcodes and scanners, tying and loosening shoe laces, putting on price tags, hanging back the apparels neatly, to buying me Shih Lin fried chicken, my all time favourite Llao llao, Juiceworks, to confiding personal issues, to sharing his life experiences. If you’re reading this man, I just want to let you know how extremely grateful I am to have met you, to work alongside with you, to teach me, to being able to share my family’s secret recipe. I may be viewed as a dirty speck of dust in you but you are an extraordinary man for me.Thank you, I wouldn’t have made it without you. Ps, he is nothing but a mere bosom of mine, no personal relations is ever intended.

-On my 3rd mid week of work, I encountered some digressions at work for the first time. I was utterly being weighed down and so guilty by heart. However, there was a pair of gay Thai couple who somehow put a smile on my face and brighten up my day: He was contemplating to whether to purchase the pants in maroon or in black. I only saw him in maroon so this customer strode off to the fitting room and cladded in the black pants just so to ask for my opinion. How amusing was that! Then guess what? He took my consideration and eventually opted the maroon one like I suggested. He is the best and I shall always remember him. 

-A day without manager around is a day of full sloths! Every week of the day when the manager is not around, all of us would be fooling around and burying our heads down our phones and our eyes are glued to the screen. We got to try on the apparels and tried on those fancy pairs of Ultra Boost. I even threw on the cozy hoodie the whole day while I was working. Nobody noticed it as long as I hid the price tag well. 

Well, I guess that’s the end of my working experience. It was a short 32 working days, but I have gained and matured a lot. It has made me realise that there is opportunity out there awaiting for me to divulge, explore and engage for the greater good. I've loved how accessible it is being able to converse and interact with different kind of people everyday. I've also loved how fortunate I was being able to work with a group of people who are so helpful and awesome to hang around with. Thank you to those who dropped by either by coincidental or intentional. Its a whole new world out there. Well, there goes my first part time job. Till then, xx.